Arthur J. Villasanta – Fourth Estate Contributor
Washington, DC, United States (4E) – Israel played Donald Trump for a fool by unleashing a devastating wave of missile strikes against Iranian military positions in Syria one hour after the U.S. president withdrew from the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) or the Iran nuclear deal on May 8.
Military analysts said the premeditated Israeli attacks that killed nine people at a military base south of Damascus make it clear the Israelis intended to use the United States as a shield to guarantee it can attack Iranian positions in Syria at will with little fear of massive reprisals.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights based in the United Kingdom said Israeli surface-to-surface missiles fired from the Golan Heights struck depots and rocket launchers likely operated by Iran’s elite Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) or the Revolutionary Guards in Kisweh.
Israel previously attacked Iran Syria’s T4 air base in Homs province that killed seven Iranian military personnel, for which Iran has vowed to retaliate. On April 30, Israel bombarded Syrian military outposts in northern Syria, killing more than a dozen pro-government fighters, many of them Iranians.
And, on May 10, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) admitted it had attacked dozens of Iranian military positions in Syria overnight after Iran launched some 20 rockets at Israeli positions along the occupied Golan Heights. It was the largest Israeli military operation in recent years and its biggest such raid against Iranian targets in Syria.
IDF blamed the rocket attacks on Iran’s Quds Force, the special forces unit of IRGC responsible for extraterritorial operations. Israel’s latest attacks, and the expected Iranian counter attacks, are stoking tensions among both arch enemies, and is making a new Middle East war much more likely.
Article – All Rights Reserved.
Provided by FeedSyndicate